Monday, 14 November 2011

Sodium-potassium pump and sodium channel as prerequisite for Metazoan evolution

It has been a long time since my last post. I will try this week to present my latest paper, published last June in Physiological Genomics. It was a phylogenetic study on two components, the Na,K ATPase and the ENaC channel, which control with extreme precision the osmolarity of blood. These genes are expressed in the kidney (and also in other organs) and are regulated by the aldosterone hormone under a signalling pathway. Strongly evidences from our study suggest that they are important components of the emergence of multicellularity in Animals. I will present this study in three posts:

I recently presented this study during the Deep Metazoan Phylogeny meeting (Munich, Germany) and Professor Bernard Rossier presented it during the 7th International Symposium on Aldosterone and the ENaC/Degenerin Family of Ion Channels: Molecular Mechanisms and Pathophysiology (Asilomar, USA). The American Physiology Society (APS) has made a press release at this occasion.

I was also happy that I had been asked to make my first cover of the month:


Tomorrow, I will focus more on the Na,K ATPase evolution.

RAS


Studer, R.A., Person, E., Robinson-Rechavi, M., & Rossier, B.C. (2011). Evolution of the epithelial sodium channel and the sodium pump as limiting factors of aldosterone action on sodium transport Physiological Genomics, 43 (13), 844-854 DOI: 10.1152/physiolgenomics.00002.2011

3 comments:

  1. Part I: Na,K-ATPase evolution in three steps:
    http://evosite3d.blogspot.com/2011/11/evolution-of-nak-atpase-and-enac-part-i.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Part II: ENaC/Degenerin evolution in Metazoan:
    http://evosite3d.blogspot.com/2011/11/evolution-of-nak-atpase-and-enac-part.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Part III: ENaC/Degenerin in Naegleria, a protozoa:
    http://evosite3d.blogspot.com/2011/11/evolution-of-nak-atpase-and-enac-part_17.html

    ReplyDelete